Are FloPlast Drainage systems compatible with other plastic manufacturer’s drainage systems?

Yes – our drainage systems are fully compatible with all systems manufactured to BS EN 1401, BS 4660, BS EN 13476-2 and BS EN 13598.

Are the Block Paving covers to be used with the plastic covers and frames?

No, they are to be used instead of the covers and frames.

Can FloPlast inspection chambers be installed internally?

The large inspection chamber can be installed internally provided that it is installed with a double sealed cover (D931)

The mini access chamber can be installed internally with the D830.

Can underground pipe and fittings be used above ground?

Underground pipes and fittings are manufactured to different British Standards to above ground pipes and fittings and are in general Terracotta in colour, which complies with colour coding rules to identify the contents of buried pipelines.

The main difference between underground and above ground is that underground does not have a colour fastness stabiliser.

A building inspector may insist that underground products used above ground should be removed because of the lack of UV stabilisation and that above ground products used underground are removed because of the colour coding rules.

Does the FloPlast underground drainage system have a pressure rating?

No it does not as it is designed to only carry waste water and would not be subject to any high pressure.

Does the underground drainage system have to be installed with a fall?

The fall that will need to be applied does depend on the number of appliances that are going into the system, local authority regulations and the soil condition.
However a general recommendation will be 1:40 to 1:80.

How do I connect 110mm drainage pipe to 160mm drainage pipe?

You can use the FloPlast level invert reducer (D99).

How do I connect the domestic channel drainage to 110mm underground pipe?

FloPlast supply an end outlet which will clip into the end of the channel drainage length and then connect to 110mm pipe.

There are also three circular holes on the bottom of the channel which can be cut out and 110mm pipe placed around the outside of the cut out hole.

This will not be a tight seal but this is fine as it is only rainwater that will be going through the system and gravity will take the water straight down the pipe anyway.

I am trying to connect PVC pipes to Clay pipe, what fittings do I need?

FloPlast produce a range of adaptors to suit this situation, please refer to our section on Underground Drainage Adaptors.

I need to clear debris from my FloPlast bottle gully, but can’t see how?

After removing the grating, twist the internal baffle tube anti-clockwise, and pull out of the body. You will now be able to remove debris caught in the trap and rod the drain it connects to.

If I lay FloPlast pipework to a steep gradient, will this cause any problems with the pipe runs?

There is no maximum gradient; a fall of 1:10 is usually considered as a maximum guideline. BS8301 states “Research has shown that high velocities of sewage flow arising from steep gradients do not cause increase erosion of pipes or deposition of solids.”

In what situation would I need to use the large inspection chamber and not the mini access chamber?

The mini access chamber can only be installed up to depths of 600mm and the large inspection chambers can be installed up to 3m.

If installed up to 1.0m then you can use the single seal cover (D930) and between 1.0m and 3m you will need to use the double sealed cover (D931).

What is a deep inspection chamber?

Building Control Officers as of April 2002 may accept deeper non-man entry inspection chambers to be used for drains and sewers. The opening for these chambers which are installed using 450mm diameter risers must be restricted to 350mm to prevent people falling down them and can be installed up to a depth of 3 metres for fouls or surface water drainage.

What is the recommendation for access in a drainage system?

Please refer to the Building Regulations, Approved Document H1, Section 2, Table 10. Reference to Access is also covered in our Underground Drainage product brochure.

What load capacity can underground drainage inspection chambers lids carry?

All FloPlast Inspection Chamber covers and frames comply with the requirements of BS EN 124.

The Mini Access Chamber Covers D830 and D831 and the Large Inspection Covers D930, D931 and D923 are rated A15 (1.5 Tonne). The Large Inspection Cover D934 is rated B125 (12.5 tonne).

Where do I use the Large Inspection Chamber or Deep Inspection Chamber?

Where do I use the new MAC?

The MAC can be used in all situations when access is required, and where the invert level is less than 600mm.

Where would I put a rodding point?

Generally only used in storm water/ rainwater systems, a rodding point is installed at the head of the system.

Where would I use a BIG?

A back inlet gully can be used where additional installation of waste pipe or rainwater downpipes is required.

Why does the FloDrain channel end cap come fitted in the female slot?

This is for packaging purposes only. The end cap will fit into the opposite end or a cut end of the FloDrain channel. Ensure as per our installation instructions that the end cap is installed at the furthest point from the outlet. The end cap can be secured into place using silicone sealant if required.

Why is the Cast Iron Cover and Frame (D923) only to be used for replacement purposes and not for new builds?

Building regulations state that all new builds and newly installed chamber bases must have a screwed down cover and frame on them.
This means that the D923 can only be used on chambers that have been installed before the change in regulations came into place.